The VLC media player is unable to open the MRL file and reports an error when it tries. This can be caused by a number of different issues, but in this article, we will discuss some common solutions that may fix your VLC unable to open Mrl File Error!
What is an MRL file and what does it do?
MRL files are a type of video file that allows you to store your media internally and access it from within the VLC player. It can be stored on any number of different devices, including hard drives or servers. If you’ve followed these steps but still have trouble playing an MRL file in VLC, please contact our technical support team using this form and we will help get your problem solved!
Why am I Seeing VLC unable to open MRL file Error?
Vodcast is a digital format and delivery over IP network which provides video content on-demand. It has been widely used for business, education, entertainment, and other purposes. MRL files are usually videos encoded using the h264 codec that have an audio track embedded in them while they use .mpg as the file extension. There could be various causes behind VLC unable to open MRL File error but it’s not something critical or dangerous at all because of this problem you can’t watch any videos stored on your computer until you fix it with some easy solutions.
- Your system doesn’t support multimedia playback software like vlc; You need to install a compatible version of vlc or update the vlc player
- You can’t play MRL video files on your system because you need to install a compatible version of MPlayer; Or, there’s no application installed that is able to open this type of file
- Your device may not have enough memory and as a result, it doesn’t have enough space for loading media codecs (probably h264) needed by VLC. It needs more than 512MB of RAM in order to process multimedia data like that
There are two ways how you can fix VLC unable to open MRL File error: either manually changes some parameters in the Windows registry or just delete an unneeded extension from the filename so that it will be saved without.mrl extension. Choose
How to fix the VLC unable to open MRL file Error?
The VLC Media Player is a great media player for watching videos in general, but it might get this error when trying to open an MRL file. It can be caused by the DVD being inserted upside down or corrupted files on your computer. There are three ways you can fix and errors like these:
- You may want to look into renaming the extension of the video from .MRL to something that will work with vlc such as .MPEGPS or AVI. This should allow vlc to play it without any additional changes needed.
- If you cannot rename the file due to personal reasons then find out what format type it needs and convert it first before opening them up again in vlc using their corresponding extension. For example, if you have a .MRL file that needs to be converted into an AVI before vlc will open it then the conversion should go from .MRL –> AVI and not need any additional changes on your computer in order for vlr to play the video properly.
- And by far one of the best ways is to update vlcs software with a newer version as this seems like a bug they might have fixed depending on when you’ve had it installed last time (eg: since 2008).
The VLC Media Player is great media player but may get this error when trying to open an MRL file which can result many things such as DVD being inserted upside down or corrupted files on pc etc.
- The first step is to run the vlc media player with administrator permissions by right-clicking on it and then select Run as Administrator.
- If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling vlcs program altogether which can be done by going into Control Panel –> Programs & Features (or Uninstall a Program) and find VLC Media Player from there.
The process for this will vary depending on your current operating system but should not take more than five minutes at most if you know what you’re doing. After following the steps above, reinstall vlc so it’s back up to date – or update it manually via the website if able to and see whether any of those fixes helped fix vlr in opening MRL.
Reasons for the error
Reason for the error. It could happen due to many reasons like some files might not have been downloaded fully or there may be a problem with disk space on your computer etcetera but all these are just guesses and only one can actually say what’s going wrong is by looking at logs inside vlc_logs folder in order to find out the real reason why vlc unable to open open mrl file error.
Solutions that have been successful in resolving this issue
- Open vlc and click the Media menu option. Open “Open Disc” to open a disc or file.
- If you’re importing from DVD, Blu Ray, insert your disk in the drive and choose File > Import > Video/DVD (or press I) to import it into the VLC media player library. Select the title of the video that interests us from our HDD and drag it onto the Explorer window which is displayed by Windows explorer with broken icon signifying files are not accessible at this moment but will be soon once we have fixed these errors **as shown below*. Inserting CD works similarly as inserting a DVD for example select File > Import > Audio CDs (or press C). Dragging any audio tracks found in the imported CD will import into vlc and we can hear it.
- If you’re importing from a folder, click File > Open Location (or press CTRL + L) to load a file in the VLC media player library. Select the title of the video that interests us from our HDD and drag it onto Windows explorer with broken icon signifying files are not accessible at this moment but will be soon once we have fixed these errors **as shown below*. Dragging any audio tracks found in a folder on your hard drive or flash disk for example select File > Open Location (or press CTRL + L). This dialog box enables dragging any audio files located on an external storage device like: SD card or USB stick which is logically connected to your computer.
- Press CTRL + G to go the root folder and search for a file with extension “.mrl”. If we find it, select that vlc mrl file then click File > Open Location (or press CTRL + L) **as shown below* so you can use the VLC player.
Steps To Fix VLC Unable To Open MRL File Error
Step 1: Make sure the site’s URL is working
VLC unable to open the MRL file error usually happens when there are configuration problems in VLC. It’s also possible that you have installed a broken version of vlc or corrupted your files. Make sure your URL source is working by visiting it at least two times and see if the first visit shows an “error” message, as shown below:
To fix this problem, just follow these steps:
- First check for update on VLC player with following command curl -sL get.videolan.org/vlc-update | sudo bash
- If updated successfully then restart the system and try again (You can even remove previous package with apt purge ‘package name’ )
Otherwise , try these steps:
- remove or rename the vlcrc file in your home directory
- delete all of the files and folders under ~/.config/vlc with rm -rf ~/.config/vlc/* && rm -f ~/.local/share/.cache_*videolan* && sudo apt purge –auto vlc (if you are using Ubuntu)
Note: You can find detailed instructions for different operating systems here.
Step 2: Disable Firewall Settings for Third-Party Apps
Changing firewall settings on your computer can help fix VLC unable to open MRL file error. To do this
- Open Settings and select the Security & Privacy category;
- Make sure to disable all third-party apps from running when you are connected to a public network by selecting it in the list, then clicking Turn Off at the bottom of your screen;
- If this does not solve vlc unable to open mrl error issue, restart your device and see if there’s any improvement.
Overall, disabling Firewall settings will only fix an occasional problem with VLC playing media files but don’t offer complete protection against malware or viruses while browsing online content. This way protects Internet connection privacy without affecting our ability to surf the web.
Step 3: Submit a claim
- To end the file’s problem, you must claim ownership of it.
- Open VLC Media Player again after taking Ownership and try to play the video with a different extension such as .mpg or mpv.
- If this doesn’t work either, please contact us at [email protected] for assistance in opening files that are giving your trouble (and also tell us which device you’re using).
- This is what has caused most people not being able to open MRLs – even though they have all permissions already set on their computer system!
- We can take care of any error messages by fixing them before sending out an email so we don’
- VLC media player is the most popular free and open source cross-platform multimedia player.
- MRL file stands for Media Resource Location, which points to a specific location on your computer where you store video files.
- There also can be an error when trying to play MPL or MKV file formats as they belong in different categories of containers that require more robust codecs than what’s included with Windows OS by default.
- So how do you fix this vlc mrl file error? It’s easy! Follow these steps:
- Download and install the latest version of VLC (it might have come preinstalled).
- Update codec pack if possible – it could be outdated or corrupted.
What we need to do differently in the future
- Open the folder containing vlc.exe and your mrl file
- Copy the content of the mrl file to a new text document, save it as “vlc.mrrl”
- Enter the path to your old vlc installation, if you have one, instead of only entering Program Files. The following is what I would recommend for Windows: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN – Make sure you put quotes around this path otherwise windows will try to parse it into two parts.- Else if you are running on Linux or MacOS then type “/usr/local/”
- Look for at least one instance where there’s a line starting with “#EXTMRLOG” and make sure all instances share that same format (e.g. “#EXTMRLOG: vlc-mrrl://vlc/myfile.mpg”)
- “Change the line to read “EXTMRLOG: vlc-mrrl://vlc/” without quotes, and then follow this with an entire list of mrl files (e.g., my_albums//Black Sabbath – Paranoid). This should be all in one line.”
Helpful tips for those experiencing similar problems
The first step would be to check if your memory card has enough free space on it. If you have a lot of videos or images saved onto your device, then there may be no room leftover and that can cause errors with opening files in general. However, before throwing out all of these important data off your phone just yet (especially as they are very difficult to get back), try deleting them one at a time after checking their size so you know what’s taking up too much space.
Deleting your files one at a time to see which are the heavyweights and removing them from your memory card until it has room for VLC as well. Try installing apps onto SD cards if you have one installed in your device, or use online storage like Google Drive so that all of these data doesn’t take up physical space on your phone anymore. If doing any transferring is not possible, then make more free space by deleting old messages, emails, WhatsApp chats (which are stored locally), videos etcetera before trying again with this process.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: VLC unable to open the mrl file error, what does this mean?
Answer: The most common reason for an MRL File Error would be a corrupted or damaged .mrl file. There may also have been a change in VLC’s installation directory since you last used it that caused the problem. If your vlc still works with other media files, please go ahead and reinstall vlc by following these steps:
- Open vlc from Activity Launcher on Ubuntu OS (the shortcut should say “Video Lan Client”)
- Select Preferences -> Advanced
- Check “Show advanced settings” at bottom of window and click OK
- Click Download codecs… button near bottom right side of window
If after completing those steps it still produces the same error, please contact us and we’ll be more than happy to help you fix it.
Question: What is the most common reason for this error? – How can I fix it if it still produces the same error with vlc reinstalled?”
Answer: corrupted or damaged .mrl files. Trouble with installation directory since you last used vlc. If your vlr still works with other media files please go ahead and reinstall by following these steps
Open VLC from Activity Launcher on Ubuntu OS (the shortcut should say “Video Lan Client”).
Select Preferences -> Advanced Check “Show advanced settings” at bottom of window and click OK
Click Download codecs… button near bottom right side of window.
Question: vlc unable to open the mrl file error
Answer: vlc not able to read or find file
Reason for error could be damaged media files, corrupted .mrl files, VLC reinstalled without removing old installation directory from computer.
- Check if your device has enough disk space available and try again by deleting any unnecessary data. If you are using a USB stick (UMS) please confirm that it’s an HFS+ formatted drive.
- Ensure that installation of codecs was successful and fix corrupt/damaged .mrl with help of experts in our support team
Question: How can I fix it if it still produces the same error with vlc reinstalled?
Answer: Reinstallation of vlc does not always fix the error. Reason is corrupted .mrl files, damaged media or insufficient disk space
Verify that your device has enough free disk space and try again by deleting unnecessary data on it before trying to open a new video file in VLC. If you are using a USB stick (UMS) please confirm that it’s an HFS+ formatted drive for Mac OS X users.
Question: I am still having this problem after following these steps? What should I do next?
Answer: Make sure your computer meets minimum requirements for running VLC Player software . If you are not able to meet the system requirements, please contact your computer’s manufacturer for assistance.
Your device may need more free disk space or may be corrupted. – Try deleting unnecessary files and reopening a new video file in VLC software again. – You will also have trouble playing videos if there is not enough memory (RAM) on your device and/or it has been damaged over time.
When an error of this type occurs, there are a few common reasons that can be pointed out. It is best to identify these first before looking for solutions. If you have all the necessary software installed and configured properly, check your file associations for vlc to ensure it has not been changed by accident or malware attack. Check any connections between devices such as blu-ray players and televisions to make sure they are hooked up correctly. Finally, confirm with other media player programs if VLC opening files seems like a problem across the board or only on specific types of files.