Discord is a chat program that many people use for gaming. This app has features that are optimized for gamers such as text and voice messaging, in-game overlay to be one of the players with an easy access to reactions, gifs and more all from your game window. It can also be used to collaborate on projects, share files, or communicate with your team. However, Discord can interfere with other programs you’re using if it starts automatically when Windows starts up. This tutorial will show you how to disable Discord from starting automatically so that it won’t interrupt any of your work!
If you have a overlay problem then you can read 5 Ways to Fix Discord Overlay Not Working on Your Computer
How to Prevent Discord From Opening on Startup
If you’re tired of Discord opening every time your computer starts, there’s an easy way to fix it. Let’s go over the steps needed for disabling this feature on Mac OS X and Windows computers.
First: Open up System Preferences in Mac OS X or Control Panel on a Windows PC
Second: Click on Users and Groups
Third: Select your user account from the list at the top
Fourth: Click on Login Items in Mac OS X or Startup Programs under User Accounts and Family Safety on Windows. Once you’re there, head to the bottom of this new window to find Discord’s icon. You’ll want to uncheck it off so that it doesn’t open with the rest of your computer.
And That’s All there Is to It!
If you want Discord to start up every time your computer starts, just go back and check the box next to its icon in Startup Programs or Login Items on Mac OS X and Windows respectively. And that’s all there is to it!
Once you’re there, head to the bottom of this new window to find Discord’s icon. You’ll want to uncheck it off so that it doesn’t open with the rest of your computer. And That’s All there Is to It! If you want Discord to start up every time your computer starts, just go back and check the box next at its icon in Startup Programs or Login Items on Mac OS X and Windows respectively.
Are you having discord screen share no audio problem then read How to Fix Discord Screen Share No Audio Problems
Disable Discord on startup in Windows
If your Discord starts up automatically every time you start your computer, then this article is for you! This tutorial will show you how to disable Discord on startup.
- In order to stop discord from starting up with your computer, head over to the Startup folder and look for Discord’s icon.
- If it’s there, double-click it and uncheck the box next to its name so that it won’t open when you turn on your PC. And That’s All There Is To It!
- In other words, just go back into the list again (in either OS), find Discord’s entry underneath “Startup Programs” or “Login Items”, find its icon at the bottom of a new window that pops up and unchecked by clicking outside of it—that’s it!
If you’re not sure how to find the Startup folder, just head over to Start > Control Panel > System and Security.
Then go into “System”, then scroll down to “Automatic Reboot” and click on it (it’s found under Advanced Settings). The next window should show a list of programs that open automatically when you reboot your computer. Sometimes they might be hidden so check this out if nothing is showing up for Discord.
It’s worth noting that any time-related adjustments need to be done as soon in Windows startup as possible since these settings are applied before all other applications get loaded. If an application needs more memory than is given at boot, crashes may happen, or worse yet, data loss could occur.
- Open up your Startup folder by going to Start > Control Panel > System and Security.
- Scroll down to “Startup Programs”, then click on it (it’s found under Advanced Settings). The next window should show a list of programs that open automatically when you startup Windows, including Discord – just right-click the icon for this program and select Disable from the dropdown menu if it’s found there.
- If not, head over to the toolbar at the top of your screen where you will find an option called “Show All Users”. Clicking on it brings up all of those programs listed in alphabetical order so scroll through until you find Discord. Right-click its icon again and select “Disable” from the dropdown menu.
- Reboot your PC to see if you have been successful in stopping Discord from starting automatically on startup.
- If not, head over to Start > All Programs and scroll down until you find the program that is still running (it will be listed at the top). Right-click it and uncheck the box which says “Startup” then hit OK. You can now reboot your computer again for good measure by heading back into Control Panel and clicking on System and Security, followed by choosing Shutdown or Restart as necessary. Do remember that data loss could occur before shutting down this way!
Do you want to download Discord on PS4 How to Easily Install Discord on PS4.
Disable Discord as a startup script when Mac starts.
Open System Preferences and select Users & Groups. Choose the account you want to change, choose Login Items from the sidebar, then drag Discord (or whatever its name is) off of this list onto a folder in Finder or Trash. Now restart your Mac; when it comes on again, Discord should not start automatically.
Open “System Preferences” and put a checkmark next to “Users & Group”. Then select the user that you want to disable discord as a startup script for and go to “Login items”, mark all apps except for discord with an X if they are enabled by default. Finally click on trash icon at top right corner > Move app(s) into trash can: After clicking move mac will ask what use what you want to do with the app. Move it into trash, and restart your Mac when prompted.
- Open System Preferences on your Mac.
- Log into Users and groups.
- Select Current User
- Select the Login Items tab in your Settings page.
- Click on Discord to select it.
- To disable Discord on startup:
From your Discord app, turn off Autostart
Step 1: Open Settings > Basic & Privacy > Enable/Disable Startup Behavior
To disable auto-starting of Discord on startup, tap the switch to disable “Start Discord when my computer starts up.”
Step 2: Press OK. You’ll be taken back to Settings – now you can see that your new setting is set and discord will not automatically start on startup.
If you want to turn off or change this setting later on, just repeat these steps.
Now we’ll explain how disabling autostarting of Discord at login works in more detail. In order for it to happen properly within settings (the first step), go into Basic & Privacy > Enable/Disable Startup Behavior and toggle the switch next to “Start Discord when my computer starts up” so that it displays a red X rather than an orange arrow ().
If you ever want to disable or change this setting again, simply repeat the first two steps!
Remember: when enabling autostarting of discord at startup for a user account with multiple users, do so by opening up Start > System Preferences > Users & Groups and changing it in there rather than via Advanced Startup behavior within Setting’s menu bar as shown above. This means configuring an administrator-level account without logging out, then switching back into the main admin account after making changes.
In order for these steps to work properly while disabled – meaning the next time you open your discord app, it will not automatically start up – the previous two steps must be followed. You can try different types of formatting in discord by reading The Ultimate Guide to Discord Text Formatting.
How Do You Quit Discord?
Discord must be manually stopped from the Operating System. It does not automatically close when you open and then close the application.
To quit Discord, click the Arrow in your taskbar to reveal hidden icons. To leave Discord, right-click the icon and select Quit.
If Discord does not appear in the process list, exit all open programs and restart your computer.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: How do you quit discord?
Answer: While Discord is running, click the settings icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and select Quit. You can also press Ctrl+Q to quickly leave the server without having to navigate back through menus. This will close all open chat windows too so be sure not to have anything unsaved or unfinished before quitting!
If that doesn’t work for some reason, try clicking on “App” at the top left hand side below where it says “Discord”. That should take you directly to our application list which includes a link called Exit… just follow those steps and say goodbye forever 🙂
Question: I keep getting booted from my own channel/server even though I’m an admin.
Answer: It seems like you’re getting disconnected from the server without being booted. There are a few common reasons for this and they pretty much all stem from an interruption with your internet connection, such as running out of data or switching between wifi connections. That’s why it might seem like nobody else is on your server either, because while you were gone, they had to leave too! To fix these issues try one of the following steps
- Make sure Discord has permission to use background app refresh by going into Settings > Background App Refresh > Toggle Background App Refresh ON at the top left hand side.
- Ensure that “Do Not Use Cellular Data” setting in Discord isn’t checked under Settings > Bandwidth so there’s no chance of running out of data.
- Re-enable wifi, if it was disabled for some reason and then restart Discord to make sure the connection is strong enough to keep your server going.
Question: Is discord safe for my computer?
Answer: Yes, Discord is completely safe for your computer. You do not need to worry about any viruses with a discord app because it’s just like Facebook or Skype which are very secure apps that allow you to chat safely without having to worry about anything happening on the computer itself. The same goes for Discord!
Question: Why does my bot keep saying “I can’t find what you’re looking for” when I try and talk to them?
Answer: It sounds as if there might be some sort of an issue going on with the server in question. However, by following these steps below we will figure out how best get this fixed so that your bots don’t have problems either!
I hope this article has been helpful and that you found a solution to your problem! It can be hard when Discord is opening up on startup, but the good news is there are some easy solutions.